one hundred and fifty eight

Day Three:
Dear Parents,
     You guys really are pretty great. I know that compared to lots of other people, I'm lucky to have you. You work hard just to give me food to eat, clothes to wear and a good education. I know that I should really be a lot more appreciative of what you guys do for me, but at times, it's really hard to see that some of the stuff you do is because you love me. Sure, I have quite a bit of freedom but sometimes I wish that you would just realize that I need to grow up and I can't do that if you're always holding me back. I know you think you do most of the stuff you do just to protect me, but the truth is, you're really preventing me from learning and experiencing things. How am I supposed to be prepared for the real world when all you do is hide me away from it. It's hard for me to be understanding when you tell me I can't do certain things because 'you said so.' Half the time you don't even give me proper logic. I'm just not allowed to do things because I'm too young, or irresponsible. What do I have to do to show you that I can take care of myself. I try hard in school just to please you guys, yet my efforts just go unnoticed. Most parents are really strict about their children getting good grades and such, but it seems like you guys don't care. When I do get good grades all I get is a 'good job, keep it up.' I'm not credited for it in the way I want. I'm not asking for much. I just want you do give me the freedom I ask because aren't I showing responsibility by doing my school work and whatnot? I guess not. Yenno, this year I decided that I wasn't going to try as hard in school. No, I'm not talking about purposely failing my classes or anything, just not work as hard as I usually do to see what your reaction would be when my grades dropped. I guess I was expecting a big lecture or something, but I barely got anything. That kind of bothered me. I know it's weird, but it just showed me that you really don't care. The only thing you guys did to me was tell me I wasn't supposed to have a boyfriend because it would distract me from my school work. Well, I did as you asked, yet you still don't care. I also hate the fact that you both favor her. I know it's not really fair to blame both of you completely. One of you favors her to the extent where you completely forget about me. I know you notice it. How could you not? I have even confronted you about it, yet you flat out deny it. I know she's younger and she requires a lot more attention but that doesn't mean you have to take her side every fight we have, or give her everything she wants when she wants it. I know you guys spoil me, but it's nothing compared to her. Not only do you spoil her with actual gifts, you also spoil her with all the slack and freedom you give her. All the thing I was never allowed to do when I was younger, she is allowed to do. Everything I have right now, she has. How is that fair? You always give her options and choices that play out in her favor. Me on the other hand, you couldn't care less about what I want. You always get to make decisions for me and whatever you say goes. All she has to do is whine about it for a while and everything goes the way she wants it to. I don't understand how you don't see it. How do you not know that she rubs everything in my face whenever she gets something and I don't. You may think that she's just a sweet, innocent little girl but she's not. She's manipulative and demeaning.  Truth be told, I'm sick of it. All of it. What more can I do for you to realize how hard I'm trying. Anyways, I do love you guys, I just hate the way you treat me.
Yours Truly,
Amanda Marques